Show your support by May 15th, 2015!
You may not know this, but there has been a lot happening behind the scenes the last few years when it comes to the laws that control our health care. In order to ensure that you maintain full access to naturopathic care, Ontario NDs need your help.
- Naturopathic Medicine has been regulated by the Drugless Practitioners Act (DPA) since 1925
- Naturopathic Doctors have a 90 year history of safe, effective health care in Ontario
- Right now, NDs have access to all standard laboratory tests offered by Ontario labs, plus hundreds of specialty tests offered by labs outside the provin
- In the next few months, NDs will move from the outdated DPA to the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) established in 1991
- Currently the RHPA includes medical doctors, physiotherapists, acupuncturists, pharmacists, chiropractors and other health professions (28 in total)
NDs have been looking forward to moving to the RHPA, however, there are a few key issues that may impact access to laboratory tests for scientific diagnosis as well as certain treatments that you may be accustomed to receiving.
- Prescribing Rights - access to certain herbs and nutrient therapies
- Laboratory Testing - this is changing from full access to an itemized list of allowed tests, which excludes:
- tests used to assess infertility, menopause, hormone imbalance
- specialized tests for autism, chronic fatigue, dementia, depression, and digestive concerns
- ability to test for infectious disease and other immune disorders
- specialized cancer markers that monitor treatment and risk assessment
- The bottom line is that access to laboratory tests, that patients pay for, will be greatly reduced
- originally NDs asked for 400 tests to be included in this list, but only 170 are currently being considered
- Find the full list of proposed changes on the website for the College of Naturopaths
What you can do to help
In order to preserve the level of care that you are paying privately for, and show your support for Ontario Naturopathic Doctors we are kindly asking you to:
1. Sign the letter (or better yet, create your own original version) and send it to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and the College of Naturopaths of Ontario (we also have copies available at Clinic reception)
2. Write a letter to your MPP asking them to ensure you have access to the type of health care you desire
3. Ask your friends and family to help as well, because you never know when you might need the care of an ND
We thank you for your time and support through this process!
All submissions must be made by May 15, 2015